Monday, July 23, 2018

Draco - Mike Patey's Incredible PZL-104 Turbine Wilga


Sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time.

That's what I discovered early one morning when I discovered that one of the most interesting aircraft ever built was tied down just 20 minutes down the road from my house.

I'd heard about this project and had seen some very grainy video of an engine run. Naturally, I was looking forward to seeing it up at Oshkosh.

But then I found a video on Instagram showing it performing a ridiculously short landing in Middleton, Wisconsin, just outside of my home town, Madison.

I hopped into my car at about 7am and zipped over. Fortunately, I managed to obtain access to the ramp, and shot these photos with my iPhone.


The concept is a simple one...fit an extremely powerful turbine engine to a small STOL taildragger and enjoy the resulting 420hp increase over what was originally a 260hp radial piston engine.

But simple as the concept may be, the execution was anything but. Mike clearly poured his heart and soul into this project, altering the landing gear, the interior, the panel, the wingtips, and just about every other part of the aircraft.



Note the custom wingtips:


Once upon a time, it was a simple Wilga 2000:



The tailwheel yoke was customized in more ways than one:


I wasn't able to get a good shot through the windows due to glare, but this photo still shows the upgraded panel. And perhaps most notably, it shows how high the aircraft sits; this shot was taken from eye level!


Even though I've never met the man, I'll forever admire Mike Patey for his vision and execution of such a unique project.

While others spend their time and money restoring more T-6 Texans, or L-39 Albatrosses, or any number of aircraft types that regularly frequent the airshow circuit, Mike instead chose to create something completely new and different. Something that is entirely utilitarian and at the same time, entirely fun.

I can't think of any aircraft that would be more fun or effective at providing an escape to the most rugged, remote patches of mountain wilderness for backcountry getaways.

So to Mike, I say thank you. Thanks for creating an airplane that is so unique and original. And thanks for sharing it with us at Oshkosh.

And, if I may make a request, please consider restoring a PZL M-15 Belphegor to flying status. I think you're our only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment